Supply and classroom prep sheet for
Pen & Wash “Koi”
- I will need an open floor area to gather everyone for the demonstrations and then we’ll be working at the desks/tables.
- I will need a table and/or counter area to lay out palettes & water pots ahead of time. Please have paints in a visible location 15 min prior to start time. Thanks!
- Please get everyone to clear desks (except for things they’ll need.) We’ll have more art time!
- A whiteboard or flip-chart page
at the front of the room (visible to all students while they are
drawing) will be needed for the directed drawing part of this lesson.
FOR Pen & Wash
- Paper - white 8.5”x11” copy paper
(or any white smooth-surfaced paper or light card (such as bristol
board or "smooth" or "very-lightly-textured" watercolour paper.)
- Pencils & Erasers
- PERMANENT Fine point or Ultra-Fine point Black markers (Sharpies or Equiv.)
1 per student, please check to ensure they work well.
NOTE: Sharpie pens (silver barrel says pen) are not Permanent. (They state "Waterproof" but will bleed significantly when wet. Standard Sharpie markers are great!)
- Liquid Tempera Paint – in squirt bottles, please! - Red, Yellow & Blue
- Water (sink access)
- Paper Towels (one each, plus some for clean-up)
we are using liquid paints, I will bring brushes & palettes. If
kits or blocks are being used, we will need to use your brushes, as
mine are not suitable for this purpose.
- I will bring water pots.
in Portables: Please either have students bring an extra bottle of
water for painting or provide several buckets of cool water in the
portable ahead of time.
note: Kits and blocks are not recommended. Liquid tempera and
watercolours in tubes are both far better paints than most watercolour
kits. If this is your only option, please let me know ahead of time, so
that I can bring my kit.